Google has made Blogger custom domain feature much easier with its recently launched domain registrar service called Google Domains.
With Google Domains, you can now easily setup custom domain for your blogger blog in just 2-3 steps. Among several features of the service, Google, for its website building services has integrated its own Blogger platform to let domain owners create or connect to existing blogs powered by Blogger.
Follow this tutorial to learn how you can easily setup custom domain for your blogger blog with Google Domains.
Before you start configuring your Blogger custom domain with this method, you need to make sure you have access to Google Domains service.
Although this tutorial might not be useful for those not using the Google’s domain service, the idea is that you can see how easy Google Domain has made it configuring a custom domain for your Blogger powered blog.
What is Google Domains service?
Like the name suggests, Google Domains service is the domain registrar service from Google.
Previously, Google allowed registering domains by partnering with other domain service providers such as GoDaddy.com and eNom.com for their customers.
Now, Google has started its own registrar business with the introduction of Google domains program. The service, still in its Beta initially launched for only US-based customers and is slowly rolling to other countries.
If you have access to Google Domains, then go ahead and sign up for the service. You can then either register for a new domain (If you are looking to buy a custom domain) or transfer your existing domain if you have already bought it with other domain registrars.
You can buy domains with several extensions including popular ones such as (.com, .org, .net) and other new gTLDs (such as .us, .co).
Please follow another tutorial “How to buy a custom Blogger domain” if you are looking to buy a new domain with Google Domains.
Configuring your Blogger custom Domain
Now, once you have fulfilled the primary requirement of buying or transferring a domain on Google’s service, let me walk you through the instructions of configuring your blogger blog with the custom domain.
- Once you have logged in, click on the “My Domains” tab on your left.From your list of domains, click on the domain that you want to configure with your blog. (Alternatively, you can directly click on the “Configure Website” button, under website heading corresponding to the domain name that you want to configure your blog for).
See the image below.
- You now have three sections in this page.Go to the Build Section where you can see Blogger listed as one of the partners to build and host your site (Weebly, Shopify, Wix, Squarespace are others until now).
Go ahead and click on the create button for Blogger tab which brings you with two options – “Create” and “Connect Existing Blog”.
See the screenshot below.
- If you want to create a new blog for the domain, go ahead with Create option and it will take you onto the blogger dashboard page where you can choose your title, address, and blog template for your new blog.
- For your existing blogger blog (which is the option most of your are looking for, I guess), just click on the “Connect Existing Blog” and you will get a screen to choose the domain and connect to your existing blog from the list of your Blogger blogs.
- Finally, click on Connect Blog and you are now done configuring the custom domain for your blog.
Google Domains has indeed made the process easier and reliable. Additionally, as both Blogger and Google Domains services come from Google, you can of course, expect more of the integrations between the services.
There are certainly several benefits of registering your domain via Google’s Domain service, but that’s another whole topic to explore.
Have you used Google Domains to integrate custom domain for your Blogger blog? Was this helpful to you? Let me know in the comments below if you have any queries related to it.